Benjamin's birthday season officially began today when he discovered the stash of birthday presents. Not that they were that well hidden - just stuck in a corner of our bedroom. It's just that he'd never discovered that corner before ...
In fact, he'd never discovered A LOT of stuff before today. For, today, Benjamin discovered ... drum roll please... the REST of the HOUSE. And, not only did he discover that the other rooms of the house still exist when he's not in them, he discovered that ... cue fireworks ... HE CAN GET THERE! By crawling, cruising, climbing, or any other means at his disposal, Benjamin covered every inch of our house today, to his great delight, my great exhaustion, and the great dismay of the knees of his pants.
My life is never going to be the same.
Neither are his pants.
Anyway, the other aspect of his birthday beginnings was the sampling of the birthday cake. I really wanted him to try the cake before his party, in case he was allergic to anything ... who wants to break out in hives at their very first birthday party? So, I perused countless cake recipes, trying to find a healthy one that would also taste good ... sweet potato zuchinni cupcakes with avacado frosting, anyone? But in the end, I listened to Daddy and just found a basic cake recipe ... no bells and whistles, but also nothing fake (artificial flavors, colors, or HFCS), so we're one step ahead, right? But when we sat down to feed it to him ...
he wouldn't eat it! crazy kid! he's a little sensitive to textures right now, so I think the cakiness threw him off. Ah well, hopefully he'll eat at least a little at his party!
We also took a quick walk this afternoon. It was drizzly all day long, but we took advantage of a brief clearing (and mid-70 degree temperatures!) to go enjoy some fall leaves around our neighborhood.
I love fall! and I tried not to pay attention to the snowman toy that Benjamin played with the whole time ... I want to enjoy today and not dread the winter ... and yet, oh, how I am NOT looking forward to boots, hats, shivers, wind, scraping ice ... I better just go to bed ... I will not dread winter, I will not dread winter, I will not dread winter ...



No comments:
Post a Comment